Thursday, October 19, 2006

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day


So, yeah. One of the worst days I have ever had today. Ok, the assembly at school kind of rocked, but after that it all went down the crapper. I go to history and I had done the wrong worksheet so stupid Kaufman said that I could turn the thing in tomorrow for half credit. Then in geometry, which is usually my favorite class, I got this letter from the Sherriff's office. I was psyched. I turned in my DARE Ambassador application about 2 or 3 weeks ago with a rocking reccomendation from Mrs.Melick. Plus I am in 2 clubs, have a 3.67 GPA at the moment, teach Sunday School, and am in the school musical. You would think that I had that position for DARE in the bag, right? Well, I opened the envelope and it said-

Rebecca,
Thank you for your interest in being an Ambassador for the Knox County D.A.R.E. Program. As you may know there were more applications turned in than there were opeings. It was a tough decision on whom to accept. Unfortunately you were not selected at this time.


This in no way reflects on you as a person or as a role model for younger people. Many things were considered, i.e., if two students were close we selected based on grades, activities, and we were looking for students from schools we are in at this time.


As someone who works closesly with the Mount Vernon School System, the quality and quantity of the persons who applied this year was outstanding. It says a lot about you and the Mount Vernon Schools.


Again, thank you for your interest and support of the Knox County D.A.R.E. Program. Please apply again.
Sincerely,
Scott Baker
DARE Deputy

I about cried right then and there. Fortunately, I waited till I was on the bus. I don't know why I got turned down. I had all of the stuff they asked for. It makes no sense. It really really stinks.

1 comment:

Jewel said...

Okay, now let me see....what might have been the reason they didn't choose you for this DARE program?? Hmmm...maybe it wasn't ALL their decision....Hmmmmm....MAYBE THE LORD KNOWS YOU DON'T NEED ANOTHER "THING" ON YOUR SCHEDULE?????
Count it a blessing and know the Lord is watching our for you when you don't "get" or "get to do something" that you really want to do. I know it is difficult sometimes, but in the great scheme of things, does this DARE thing really matter? Hmmmm? Love you, Becky. ((HUGS))